Monday, August 6, 2012

Les Misérables


I know it's a book, but have you ever SEEN that thing!? It's like War and Peace! It's so big. Yeah, so I've never read it. But the musical is fantastic! Its bad I haven't' read it, I realize that, but today is about the musical and I love it so there's no reason I'll talk about the book today. Well, anymore than I already have.


For those who don't know, Les Mis is a musical about the French Revolution. Kinda. Its based around an ex-convict who is trying to turn his life around while being hunted by a policeman. There's a love story, a war story, a redemption story... pretty much everything that makes things awesome is in here.

The thing I love most about it is Éponine. She's this wonderfully tomboyish girl who is totally in love with a guy who could care less about her. She's a tragic character who you know will never get the man she loves (who totally pulls a dumb Romeo and Juliet move against her), but she still tries to carry on. It's all very bittersweet. Plus she has the best song in the play, "On My Own".

Though TODAY is Les Mis day (which had me listening to the soundtrack all day and holy cow it's incredibly sad), I went and saw the play a few weeks ago. In my little town, we have an amazing Shakespeare festival that puts on plays of a wide variety. This year, they were lucky enough to get the rights to Les Mis.

Now, I know what you're thinking. 'Pft, Shakespeare fest! Les Mis isn't Shakespeare!' No duh, genius. But they do other plays. And it's a huge award winning (including Tony) Shakespeare festival, so when I say they did Les Mis, I mean they did it with amazing style. The girl who played Fantine was just amazing, far beyond anything I've ever seen. Makes me want to see her play Elphaba, but that's another play for another day.

For Les Mis day, I just listened to the soundtrack really. Oh, and watched the trailer for the new movie and that looks surprisingly good. Yay!

Song of the day - On My Own

No comments:

Post a Comment